We’re cleaning up polluted rivers and making sure clean streams stay that way.
More than half of the state’s rivers and streams fail to meet water quality standards due to stormwater pollution. Mass Rivers is working with our members and partner organizations to restore water quality through better permitting and enforcement of stormwater regulations.
Our work in this area focuses on the following objectives:
- Promote proper treatment and local recharge of wastewater.
- Reduce pollution from stormwater runoff through source control, smart development and on-site treatment and infiltration.
- Reduce pollution at the source.
- Improve understanding of how “emerging contaminants”—such as pharmaceuticals—affect the health of people and fish.
- Eliminate combined sewer overflows.
- Reduce existing paved surfaces in urbanized watersheds through retrofitting.